How to Block a Website in Windows 7, 8, and 10
If you want to block certain websites that contain virus’s and illegal contents, you can restrict these sites easily. A lot of reasons to set restriction for certain websites, the most common reason is preventing child to accessing gambling and adult sites. In industrial zone, it helps to increase productivity by denying unwanted sites on the employee’s computer. There are four methods for blocking sites.
4 Methods to Block any Website in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10
- Block a website in Windows 7 (Hosts File)
- Block a website in Internet Explorer
- Block a website by Third Part Softwares
- Block a website by Internet Router
In this article, I will disuse about all the methods in detail.
1. Block a website in Windows 7 with Hosts File
It’s a simple trick to restrict any site in Windows 7, Vista and XP. You can do this for editing windows “Hosts” file that is located in Windows installation directory. So, let’s start
- Click on My Computer and open your Windows installation drive. Generally “C drive”.
- Go to Windows>System32>drivers>etc
- Find “Hosts” named file in “etc” folder and open it in Notepad.
- In notepad click on File>Open> and go to destination path of “hosts” file which is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\
- Under 127.0.0.1 localhost enter the site name.
- 127.0.0.1 [space][www.yoursitename.com]. for example; you want to block Facbook and Yahoo, you need to enter:
7. Save the File. Try it
- You need to open Notepad with Administrator Rights, For this Go to Start Menu>Accessories>Notepad (Right click on notepad and click on Run as Administrator).
- Under the local host line you must enter IP address 127.0.0.1,then [one space]and MyTipsHub.
- Remember you must enter at least one space between IP address and site name.
- This trick works only in configured computers, you can still access the site via Tablets, Android devices and Mobiles.
- This method could easily bypass if users have some basic knowledge of “Hosts” file. They can edit it and can access individual web pages again.
2. How to Block a website in Internet Explorer
3. How to Block a website by Third Part Softwares
4. How to Block a website by Internet Router
I hope this topic will help you for blocking any unwanted sites. If you have any problem with this method, feel free to ask in comments. Browse safely Cheers 🙂